Your Guide to Mobile Threat Defense
“The signs are clear that mobile threats can no longer be ignored. Security and risk management leaders must familiarize themselves with mobile threat defense solutions and plan to gradually integrate them to mitigate mobile risks.”*
*Gartner Market Guide for Mobile Threat Defense Solutions, Dionisio Zumerle, John Girard, 22 August 2017
Gartner recently released its second Market Guide for Mobile Threat Defense (MTD) Solutions. In the document, Gartner provides an overview of mobile malware rates, the size of the market as enterprise move to mobile first communication methods, and provides an overview of the vendors that enable safe and secure mobile usage.
Gartner states the mobile threat defense market contains “solutions that protect organizations from threats on mobile platforms.”* Simply put, we believe if you are using mobile devices in your enterprise you need to install an MTD solution to detect threats on the devices your employees and contractors use in your business.
How Does Mobile Threat Defense Work?
MTD solutions protect at multiple layers and are optimized for the constraints inherent to mobile operating systems. It is best to have a solution detecting threats at device, network and application levels like that of Zimperium.
According to Gartner:
- On the device level, MTD tools monitor system parameters, configuration, firmware and libraries to identify suspicious or malicious activity.
- On the network level, MTD tools monitor network traffic and disable suspicious connections to and from mobile devices.
- On the app level, MTD tools identify “leaky” apps (meaning apps that can put enterprise data at risk) and malicious apps, through reputation scanning and code analysis.
“By 2019, mobile malware will amount to one-third of total malware reported in standard tests, up from 7.5% today.”*
Mobile Security Recommendations
The Market Buyers Guide for Mobile Threat Defense Solutions provides additional information on Key Findings on the market and Recommendations on how to proceed with securing your mobile devices from threats. We agree with many of the recommendations Gartner provides and have some of our own on how to educate yourself and your security teams.
- Risks – Educate yourselves and your teams on the risks mobile devices introduce into your business and review customer case studies. There are several Zimperium reviews available on Gartner Peer Insights.
- Deployment – Understand there are deployment options available to you. You can deploy with your current EMM and leverage existing compliance policies in both corporate owned, BYOD or in apps you build.
- Download – Obtain our latest research “Your Guide to Mobile Threat Defense” featuring a complimentary copy of Gartner’s Market Guide for Mobile Threat Defense Solutions.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Gartner Peer Insights reviews constitute the subjective opinions of individual end-users based on their own experiences, and do not represent the views of Gartner or its affiliates.