Gartner 2019 Market Guide for Mobile Threat Defense
“Security leaders should integrate the MTD solution with their incumbent UEM tool. Where devices must stay unmanaged, security leaders should use MTD to protect the enterprise infrastructure.” –
Gartner “Market Guide for Mobile Threat Defense,” November 2019
Gartner recently published the latest version of their Market Guide for Mobile Threat Defense(1) and once again Zimperium was named as a Representative Vendor. We believe, this annual guide of the leading MTD solutions is full of insights for anyone considering or deploying mobile device security.
Gartner states in its “Recommendations” section:
“To address mobile risks, security and risk management leaders responsible for the security of endpoints should:
- Adopt MTD solutions in high-security and regulated verticals and in organizations with large Android device fleets. The focus should be on improving overall security hygiene, rather than countering advanced malicious threats.
- Use the app vetting and device vulnerability management MTD features to demonstrate the immediate benefits of MTD investments by showing how an organization reduces application risk and device risk, rather than expect to uncover a major breach.
- Integrate the MTD solution with their UEM tool. Implement app-based deployment in general, with proxy-based deployment options for corporate-owned business-only (COBO) scenarios.”
In the Market Description section, Gartner outlines a fundamental difference between on-device and cloud-based MTD detection, stating, “Depending on the vendor, the detection engine can be split between the cloud-based server and the device, or it can reside exclusively on the device. Although we see endpoint protection platforms (EPP) converge toward cloud-based solutions to keep up with constant updates (see “Innovation Insight for Cloud Endpoint Protection Platforms), the availability of some on-device detection capability provides a better likelihood of the protection persisting over a compromised network.”
While there are numerous excellent insights made in the 23-page document, a few that are worth highlighting:
- MTD Growth: “By 2020, 30% of organizations will have MTD in place, an increase from less than 15% in 2019.”
- Mobile Attacks: “In 2018, mobile attacks almost doubled compared to the previous year, reaching 116.5 million.”
- Use Cases: “The most frequent use case addresses the need for an all-around mobile security solution.
- Mobile phishing is on the rise
- A new use case this year is mobile EDR
- The need for protection for unmanaged devices is growing
- Enterprises also leverage MTD to perform app vetting
- Compliance is another frequent use case
If you want to learn more about how Zimperium can help secure your devices and apps in all the frequent use cases and more, please contact us for a free consultation.